A dripping tap is not only annoying, it can also gradually up your water bills if left unaddressed for a while. If you’re DIY-savvy, you may want to have a little look at the problem yourself to see if you can suss out what’s going on. If you’re not so confident and want to leave it to the professionals, then this is the best way to ensure a proper job is done first time.
How to fix a dripping tap
The following steps are only a general suggestion and may not be suitable for all taps. It should also only be carried out if you feel confident in your abilities. Generally, we would always recommend calling a professional if you’re unsure, to avoid further mistakes or delays.
- Turn off the water supply: Firstly, and if it’s convenient to do so, turn off the water supply which leads to that tap. This will keep your water bills down until you can find a more permanent solution. Switches to turn off the supply are usually located beneath a sink – a quick google will help you find the correct switch for your particular sink. If you have separate switches for the hot and cold taps, you could try turning each of them off in turn to see whether the problem lies with the cold tap or the hot tap.
- Remove the knobs: Using a screwdriver, gently prise off the knobs from the tap, and any other decorative features.
- Remove the stem: Next, loosen the stem. You may need to use a spanner to ease off the packing nut first. Stems may pop off or need a twist to remove them.
- Inspect: Now the inner workings are revealed, it’s time to inspect for any damage. To an untrained eye, this may not be easy to spot, but if you do see anything that is obviously damaged or worn, it could be time to replace it. You may want to get a professional to help you with this.
- Test it out: Once you’ve replaced any parts and reassembled, just test it out to see if your fix was successful.
- Get a professional to take care of it: A professional plumber, such as the team here at Around the Bend Plumbing, can swiftly diagnose any issues causing a dripping tap and promptly implement a solution. Our engineers will talk through any identified problems to make sure you’re happy with the suggested resolution, before making any changes.
Here at Around the Bend Plumbing, we’re your friendly and efficient plumbers. Available 24/7, we’re here to quickly find a solution to your plumbing woes and we’re here to get your home and business back to full working order. Got a problem? Just give us a call – we’re here to help customers all across Brighton, Hove, Eastbourne and further afield.